Tuesday 12 February 2013

Needs vs Wants

I came across a few interesting quotes. They reminded me of the fact that consumerism was also an issue in the past.

Charles Spurgeon (1834) wrote:
"You say, 'If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied. You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled.'"

Joseph Brotherton (1783):
"My riches consist, not in the extent of my possessions, but in the fewness of my wants."

Elise  Boulding (1920):
"The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cecile, I came across your blog this evening and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the last couple of posts. This one certainly speaks to me as I was a consumerist/materialist for most of my life and am now finally able to live a simple life of contentment in my saviour. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete