Tuesday 5 March 2013

Oatmeal Crackers

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of paying too much for a box of crackers containing ingredients that are hard to pronounce. So my first attempt at making crackers was a grand success...there may not be any left by the time the rest of the tribe arrives home. Here is the recipe:

Oatmeal Crackers

1/2 cup rolled oats (I used Robin Hood large flake)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup butter or hard marg, melted
1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt (I used Activia sweetened plain yogurt)
salt for sprinkling

Stir first five ingredients together in medium bowl.
Add butter and sour cream or yogurt to flour mixture. Mix well, then use hands to form into a ball. Roll as thinly as possible on lightly floured surface. Cut in strips 1 x 2 inch or so. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet. Prick with fork in several places. Sprinkle with salt (I used sea salt). Bake 350 F oven for 7 - 10 minutes or until golden and crispy. Makes at least 5 dozen. These also freeze well.

1 comment:

  1. I've made crackers before and they were good. I am going to try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete