Monday 22 April 2013

Dill Onion French Bread

I love baking bread and trying new recipes. My trusty Bosch Kitchen Machine comes in handy for large batches but today I was trying a new recipe the old fashioned way.  The bread turned out delicious and next time I'll triple it using the machine. The recipe below says it makes one loaf but I made two loaves because I like crustier bread.

Dill Onion French Bread

2 tsp fermipan instant yeast
1/4 cup very warm water
1 cup plain yogurt (room temp would work best)
2 T finely chopped onion
1/4 cup sugar
2 T butter, melted
1 egg
1 T dried dill weed 
1 teaspoon salt
3 - 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour

In large mixing bowl, mix everything except the flour and yeast. Stir 1 cup flour and yeast together and add to bowl and beat until smooth. Stir in enough of remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6-8 minutes), adding flour as needed. Place in a greased bowl, and grease top of dough as well. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. 

Punch dough down a bit and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds (I divided into six pieces for the two loaves). Shape each portion into a 20 in. rope. Braid into loaves and pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled again. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Move to wire rack to cool.


1 comment: